My Blog List

Friday, August 3, 2012

Micah's Surgeries Day 7

Day 7-
Thursday brought with it some baby steps in the right direction for Micah! Our physical therapist came back for more "torture" as Micah puts it but this time she not only made Micah sit up, she made her STAND UP. Yes, stand up just 2 days after her 2nd major back surgery! I can't believe it. With a LOT of support and very small slow baby steps, Tea helped Micah shuffle to her chair specifically designed for recovery from this type of surgery and made her sit in it for 30 minutes. Micah was NOT happy and was very uncomfortable but she did it! 
Tea came back later Thursday afternoon after Micah's catheter foley was removed and made her shuffle to her portable potty chair and sit. Then she had to sit in her special chair for a full hour! She hated every minute of it, but she is doing much better than expected! She is still using her pain pump with the continuous drip but is pressing the button less and less and by the end of the day, she was no longer having to push it every 10 minutes for that boost. Progress..
We had a few visitors: my Dad came up and my good friend Lawanda came and brought her girls to visit who brought some super fun stuff for Micah, including the waterless Tressemme shampoo several people have mentioned to me and we attempted to use it to clean Micah's hair (future reference: the hospital no-rinse shower cap thingies suck and you'd be better off pouring olive oil over your child's head to get the same results but it smells nice at least) and it helped a little but we finally just put one of her cute new bandanas from Cammy and Jasmine over her hair. Out of sight out of mind I hope until we can wash her hair properly without risking getting her incision sites wet or dirty.
My brother and Anna came by with Lucy Kate for a visit also and brought an adorable goodie basket and Angie Davis and Dalton brought lunch from McAlisters--yum! 
Micah is no longer hallucinating, though sometimes she wakes up from a dream still a little confused. It is SO much better than the other day, however and for this I am continually thankful!
My parents stayed with Micah while I snuck off for Micah's open house at the middle school and to file her homebound paperwork for the first 6-8 weeks of school she'll be missing (boo.) and then to the elementary school for Haven's open house. I can't believe she's starting kindergarten! I ran by the house for a minute to grab more clothes and sift through the mail. Micah got some sweet happies and cards in the mail and I was excited to bring them back to the hospital for her! Her friends and counselor from camp (whose sister had a similar surgery 2 weeks ago) wrote her. She smiled!
After my parents left (I was gone for a total of less than 3 hours but it felt like forever away from my sweet girl!) I was able to get in the bed with Micah (she has asked so many times but there were too many tubes!!) and we watched a little Olympics until she fell asleep. I remember getting into her hospital bed so many times at both LeBonheur and St.Jude when she was little and in treatment--and back then she was in a hospital bed CRIB so it was quite interesting-looking I'm sure! She has always loved to snuggle with her mama and I am so not a snuggler! But it made her happy then and it made her happy last night. So thankful the tubes and stuff going into her and wires monitoring her are becoming fewer and fewer every day. 





 

0 comments: