My Blog List

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Hit Me With Your Best Shot!

For almost 2 months now, my husband and I have been having weekly lunch dates every Tuesday (along with our youngest little one, Stone) as well as a date night every weekend. Everyone knows you're supposed to have occasional date nights with your spouse, but since we have made it a MUST for every single week, I am amazed and humbled by the impact it has had on our relationship!
We take turns every weekend planning something: sometimes its just dinner, other times something a little different. This past weekend, however, was VERY different and gets the Date Night "stamp of approval" from both Gary and myself! We went to the shootin' range! Yessirreee!



Oh. My. Word. How fun! And so different! You got to choose your weapon (they had CASES of handguns, pistols, rifles, etc. to choose from if you don't have your own. Luckily my husband knew a good one to pick: a .45 Sig Sawyer...now I know.) and gave you all the necessary protective gear (cue fashionable glasses and headphones above) and let you each pick out a target (yes, if you're wondering, they did indeed have targets with zombies on them).We also got 2 BIG boxes of cartridges!

Let me just say, thank goodness for those headphones and glasses! Not only was it SO LOUD in the range area, but those empty shells were going crazy! I got hit once or twice by not only my own empty shells but Gary's when he was shooting (which he shot very well I might add). This was my first time touching a gun. EVER. And I feel very brave now. But that's beside the point.
Here is a picture of my target afterwards:
Gary pointed out that all my shots were basically in a 5 inch margin straight up the middle. I would like to say I meant for it to be that way. But, in all truthfulness, I was aiming at the bulls-eye 'x' most of the time. Oh well!

Here's the best part, all of this was just $39 plus $10 weapon rental and get this: It also included dinner! They have a nice grill cafe where you can get sandwiches, baked potatoes, appetizers, salads, paninis, etc. and its all included! We even had time afterwards to get Starbucks and run by the mall. Yes, close to a perfect date!

You can check it out for yourself if you're interested: 'Date Night' on a Friday or Saturday night. Get there early, by 5:30 or 6 is ideal, no wait!

I am loving spending so much time with my husband, God is doing some amazing things in our marriage and in our home and I am so grateful and blessed!

7 comments:

anna said...

That is a very interesting date night! I'm sure Nathan would love to check it out sometime... I might be a little scared! Guns just scare me. I got my dad to show me how to use his hand gun the other day... I didn't actually shoot with it- I saw how I could shoot with it- if need be. And I was freaking out just holding it! So when you are there, are there people right next to you shooting? Why can't they just turn around and shoot you? Is this place safe? Haha... date night that often sounds awesome- it is great what you say it does for your marriage! Nathan and I definitely need more of them for sure- we just have to be more creative with them now until he gets a job :) lol.

Brooke said...

Thanks for sharing! My husband would LOVE to go to a shooting range for date night! Before becoming parents, we had lots of date nights. Now I think we've had two 'real' date nights in the past six months. It's time to change that!!

Sarah Barker said...

Brooke--we were the same way! It was a "Hey it hasn't been a while, lets go on a date next weekend" kind of routine and whenever we had free time we tried to do "family" things but those aren't focusing on US and man, do we need some US time! At first I thought 2 times a week was a lot, but I realize that in the whole scheme of things, it is totally worth it! :)
Anna--YES people could just turn around and shoot you! I mean, you're in these little divider things while you're actually shooting, but you could step back 2 feet and be open target! Luckily, no crazies were at the range that night! EEK! It was a little nerve-racking and my palms were sweaty but it was still fun! haha

Stephanie said...

Is that $39 per person or couple? That sounds like a lot of fun! It's been a long time since I shot, but I always did enjoy target practice. Although, mine was more of the "country girl" variation: usually a .22 or sometimes a .38 sooting cans off a fence or tree stump out on the farm or in the woods! LOL! Thanks for sharing! Makes me realize how little me and my hubby actually do anything together, just by ourselves, which is never.

Sarah Barker said...

Its $39 per couple! Its a SWEET deal!

Jessica said...

So fun!! I have never shot a gun myself either! Jacob has been wanting to get a gun and I told him it had to be something I was comfortable shooting before we got it! So, we have actually been wanting to go check that place out...glad it got your approval! What a fun date night!

Mary Helen said...

Oh we are sooooo going to do this!!