My Blog List

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day 2012

What a fun Valentine's Day we've had! This year was the year I actually remembered to put out all the cute Valentine's decor I've collected over time (for the first time, seriously!) and thanks to Pinterest.com, I've also felt compelled to do a little "more" with this silly little holiday for once. So we did!
Micah filled out and took her own store-bought Valentine's (The Muppets) to school this morning (along with candy for her class). The littles had parties at Mothers Day Out so I let Haven make little treat bags for her friends and attach her store-bought Valentine's (Disney Princesses, of course) to each of them. She had the best time with this! I realized at some point (okay, yesterday) that I had forgotten to buy Stone any cards for his class so after scouring Pinterest and surprisingly coming up empty-handed, I came up with the idea for hand-made owl magnets! I know the other five 18-month olds were SO impressed....
Here's how I made them:



 I free-handed everything except the eyes (I've never been good at cutting circles) which were about the size of a dime, as shown.
Stone really had a good time watching, I mean helping
I used Elmer's glue (not usually my glue of choice but out of sheer laziness I didn't want to look for my Tacky Glue or hook up my glue gun for just scrapbooking paper) and I put them under a paper file to help them dry:
Here are the finished products, before magnets. I really really wanted to laminate them last-minute but remembered I don't have a laminating machine (boo.) so I just stuck magnets from a magnet strip on the back. (Don't forget when using magnets from a magnet roll to bend and mold the magnet pieces with your hands to make sure they don't bow your paper.) 

Who knows if any of these will actually appear on the refrigerators of Stone's classmates, but we had fun with it!
At least they will enjoy the candy inside the treat bags, right?
More to come on our yummy Valentine's dinner!
 

1 comments:

Anna said...

Those are adorable!! Super creative!! I'm impressed! I certainly wouldn't have that stuff lying around-- and it would have taken a lot of thought and planning for me to pull something like that off! haha- good job! It is my goal (as a mom) to make every silly (and not silly) little holiday a big fun day!... starting with a holiday when LK will know it is a holiday- ha!